Boulder, CO: 303-565-5501

Jeffrey M. Flynn  Attorney 4048764600 facebook logo-blue twitter logo-blue box

Commonly asked social security questions

Many individuals have questions about the processes and whether they can even file claims. Below are some of the most common questions we hear from our clients. Hopefully these will help you decide to pursue your case.

Q. How does Social Security determine that you are disabled under Social Security Law?

A. You must be disabled or expected to be disabled from performing work for a period of one year. Social Security looks at your past work, your age and education to help make this determination. Your disability can be the result of mental and/or physical impairments or a combination of both mental and physical impairments.


Q. When should I apply?

A. You should apply for disability as soon as you feel that you are disabled. For certain types of Social Security disability, such as SSI, you can only receive benefits from the date of your application forward, so it is important that you file this application as soon as possible so that you do not lose your right to any benefits. For other types of Social Security disability, SSDI, you can receive income benefits for up to one year prior to the date that you applied. Thus, for both SSI and SSDI, it is important that you apply as soon as you can.


Q. When should you contact the law offices of Jeffrey Flynn, P.C.?

A. You should contact the law offices of Jeffrey Flynn, P.C. either before or after you have applied for Social Security disability. If you have not applied, we can help you apply in our office online so that your application is processed immediately, and you are given a protective filing date for your application on the day you apply online. This may save you from having to go down to the Social Security office and sit for hours, waiting to make your application. If you have applied, you should contact Jeffrey Flynn, P.C. immediately so that we can make sure that you receive your benefits as quickly as possible.


Q. What do I do if I have been denied?

A. You have 60 days to file an appeal. You should bring the denial, along with any other paperwork that you have, into our law office so that we can get the appeal filed within the 60-day time period. We will complete all of the necessary paperwork to go with the appeal and make sure your claim is protected and processed. Do not get upset if you have been denied. Social Security frequently denies people who are deserving of benefits. Do not let 60 days go by without contacting Jeffrey Flynn. If you miss the time period allowed for the denial, you may have to start all over again and wait longer for your benefits to be approved.


Q. Do I need to get medical treatment in order to be found disabled?

A. It is absolutely vital that you are being treated by a medical doctor for your physical impairments and/or a licensed Ph.D. psychologist or psychiatrist for your mental impairments. Social Security law does not allow the Social Security Administration to approve someone for benefits, if they do not have objective medical conditions for their disabilities. These objective medical conditions can only be diagnosed by medical doctors or licensed Ph.D. psychologists or psychiatrists.

Social Security Disability

Your social security benefits questions addressed


Are you confused about the legal process when applying for social security benefits? We can you help get the results you need.



Contact us today!

FAQ hero image

Call Jeffrey Flynn, P.C. today for your FREE consultation.

No fee unless we win.